What to Expect
What to Expect When You Visit
Visiting a new church can be intimidating. When you visit the Hueytown church of Christ, you will never be asked to stand up, introduce yourself, or do any other activity that makes you feel uncomfortable. We’d just love to have you visit and study with us.
We want you to feel comfortable when you visit us for worship services, so here is a brief summary of what you can expect from a typical service at the Hueytown church of Christ:
- Praying: We are led by different men in our congregation (1 Timothy 2:1-8).
- Singing: The whole congregation joins together in praising God in song without the use of musical instruments (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16). In case anyone is unfamiliar with one of the songs, the words are available in our songbooks and also on a screen in front of the auditorium. Everyone is welcomed to join us in singing. If you prefer, you may sit and listen and meditate on the words quietly.
- Taking Communion: Every Sunday, our members conmemorate Christ’s death by eating unleavened bread and drinking fruit of the vine (Acts 20:7). We sit quietly for a few minutes and reflect on how wonderful it is that God loved us enough to give his own Son for us (John 3:16)!
- Preaching: We will enjoy a Bible based lesson and encourage everyone to follow along in their own Bibles to verify that what is being taught is indeed from the Bible (Acts 2:42; Romans 10:14). Each lesson will take a Bible passage and explain what it means and how it applies to our lives.
- Giving: Each member of this congregation contributes weekly to the work of the church (1 Corinthians 16:2). We do not ask or expect our visitors to give anything in the offering. However, if you as a visitor desires to contribute you may do so.